Highlands and Islands MSP Jamie Halcro Johnston has written to Stagecoach to ask the company to review its decision to withdraw its service to the Forbeshill housing estate in Forres.
The Scottish Conservative MSP took the action following a recent street surgery he conducted in Forbeshill
Mr Halcro Johnston said: “I visited Forbeshill to find out from residents directly what local issues most concerned them.
“Practically every person I met on the doorstep mentioned their dismay at the withdrawal of the service.
“There is widespread concern that many people, particularly elderly folk, have been left isolated and unable, for instance, to visit the town centre and meet up with friends, or visit the shops.
“Among the questions I have put to Stagecoach’s Managing Director are these:
- What reasons Stagecoach has for not providing a service which includes Forbeshill?
- What consideration was given to the impact of leaving Forbeshill residents without an easily accessible services?
- Since the withdrawal of the Number 6 service, what consideration you have given to the Number 31 including Forbeshill in its route?
- If a full service to Forbeshill cannot be resumed, what consideration you have given to introducing a reduced service. For example, alternate buses including Forbeshill in their route?
- With your consultation on new timetables ending in a few days, how you advertised or promoted that consultation – and the opportunity to respond – to bus users and the wider public in Moray?
“It is imperative that communities like Forbeshill are not left abandoned by the public transport system and that operators are responsive to public demand.”
|Jamie's letter to Stagecoach||723.29 KB|